Be Your Best You For Literacy In 2017

Reading Is Fundamental has some great tips for parents in 2017. Take a moment to review these ideas and help your child be all about the books in the new year. 


RESOLVE TO BE A LITERACY CHAMPION IN 2017

364
When it comes to making New Year’s resolutions, we always have a few focused on our own reading habits. We tell ourselves that this year we are going to start a book club, read that book we skipped in high school, or (finally) get through Anna Karenina. But, we know that the most important reading that can be done is that which is shared with a child. To help you be the Literacy Champion in your family and encourage your child’s literacy skills and continued love of learning through 2017, we’ve compiled some of our favorite reading resolutions: 

  • I resolve… to clean out the box of board books in the attic that my child “outgrew” and decide which ones we will keep and which will be donated to the library or a family friend so they can be enjoyed by new children.
  • I resolve… to show my child that my library card is the most valuable thing in my wallet. Not only because of the books we can borrow, but because of the activities and community events of which we can be a part.
  • I resolve… that if my child comes home, raving about a book that was read at school, I will find that book and read it myself so we can have excited conversations about it together.
  • I resolve… to read a book with my child that exposes them to another culture, family structure, or struggle that will allow us to expand our empathy and understanding of the world. Read more here.

Comments