Monsters Help Too! takes the classic "monsters in the room" fear and turns it into a playful, helpful adventure with Noah, the Tings, and the Nerms.
What was the original inspiration behind this idea, and how long did it take to transform that initial concept into a finished picture book?
When I was a little kid, my brother used to pretend our hands were little monsters. The made-up words from those little hand monsters were the inspiration for this book. He would pretend his hand was a monster, smash it with his other hand, and I would get so upset! He didn't just help create that world; under the handle Uncle Sharks, he also helped write Book 3 and created the Clucks. I would sing those random monster words as songs, make silly noises, and draw little Nerms and Worts (though I honestly can't recall what those drawings looked like). When I wanted to bring them back to “life,” I thought about how monsters in your room are normally scary, and I wanted to flip that around. Instead of a scary monster under the bed, what if there were a bunch of silly little monsters from my time with my brother who were bored, a little mischievous, and actually wanted to help? I wrote the first story nine years ago, and it sat in a drawer for a long time because I didn't have the art skills or the budget to illustrate it. I tried a few Fiverr bids, drew it over and over, and finally illustrated most of what the current version is today. It finally became a real book in 2025, and got remastered in 2026.
Double Duty (Writing & Illustrating)
As both the author and illustrator, how does your process work?
I'm a writer first. The words always come first for me: the rhymes, the story, and the personalities of the Nerms and Tings. I'll be honest (do I even need to say it, or does it already show?): I'm not a trained illustrator, and arguably not a good one. Book 1 has my own simple artwork, and it shows. For Books 2 and 3, I used AI image tools to turn my written descriptions into pictures, then went back and forth on every page until the characters looked the way I'd always pictured them. My brother, under the handle Uncle Sharks, also helped with Book 3. I know AI art is a sensitive topic for artists, and I don't take that lightly. I know there are a few “iffies” and “glitches,” but I wanted to create and tell my stories and get them out, because otherwise they would have sat for another decade. For me, it was the only realistic way to bring these stories to life.
Do the visual designs of characters like the Tings and Nerms come to life first, or do you start with the rhyming text and story arc?
The Nerms and Worts are redesigned versions of the little “hand” monsters and scribbles from when I was a kid. The Tings are new, because that name rhymed easily! The story and rhymes started as a way to set the scene for these little monsters for my son, Noah (who is now too old to really appreciate it), and I let each monster drive its own part of the story. I gave each monster random quirks to build their personalities (cheese, naps, socks, shoes), and I wanted to add some real learning, too. Once the story is set, the pictures are built around it.
Writing Journey
How long have you been writing and illustrating for children, and have picture books always been your primary focus?
I've always wanted to be creative and to write, but for a long time my stories only lived in notebooks. Monsters Help Too! is my first self-published series (and maybe my last!), and picture books have always been my main focus, because that's where kids start reading and families connect.
Driven by Inspiration
What continues to drive and motivate your creative process when working on children's literature?
I love these characters, and every time I finish a book, I already have an idea for what trouble they'll get into next. I like my story. I like that I've been able to be creative in my normal, everyday world. I so admire the people who take risks and create: art, stories, illustrations, metalwork. Everything. I wanted to take that risk too, even if I lose. I HOPE children love my story, but I'm honestly not sure yet!
Kids, Literacy, & Bedtime Magic
Flipping the Bedtime Fear
Many kids fear "bumps in the night," but Noah meets the noise with curiosity instead of fear.
What do you hope young readers—and their parents—take away from using imagination to turn bedtime fears into friendly adventures?
I hope kids learn that the dark doesn't have to be scary, and that being curious is a superpower. Noah doesn't hide under the covers. He asks, "What are you, and what are you doing?" If a child can meet a bump in the night with a question instead of fear, bedtime gets a lot easier for everybody. For parents, I hope the books give them a fun, silly way to talk about those fears together.
Reader Engagement
What do you think kids will love most about the Monsters Help Too! books?
Parent & Teacher Appeal
What elements in the books do you think parents, educators, and librarians will appreciate most when reading with children?
The books have rhyme and rhythm that make them fun to read aloud, and they're short enough for a bedtime read. Underneath the silliness, there are real everyday moments kids go through: being scared of the dark, getting stuck on homework, and cleaning their room. Each book shows that asking for help and working together makes hard things easier. The bonus activity pages also work well for classrooms and library storytimes. I love it, and I'm proud of the world I created.
Literacy Advice for Parents
What advice do you have for parents on encouraging a love for reading at home, especially during routine times like bedtime?
Make it a routine, and make it fun. Let your kids pick the book, even if it's the same one for the fifth night in a row. My son's favorite book growing up was Back to Bed, Ed! by Sebastien Braun. It's amazing (and, well, Monsters Help Too! didn't exist yet!). Do the voices, and pause to let them finish a rhyme. Ask questions about the pictures. Bedtime reading shouldn't feel like homework. It should be the best part of the day.


Comments
Post a Comment
Be an advocate for literacy. Thanks for your support and for stopping by.